- In flowering plants, a bit of the root, leaf or stem, can grow into new plants. This is a type of asexual reproduction and is sometimes known as vegetative reproduction.
- This process produces plants which are genetically identical (i.e. clones) to the parent
- Useful to gardeners and farmers as they can grow plants with desired characteristics such as fruit colour, flower shape, disease resistance,etc
- To do this a simple way is to take cuttings: take a small length of stem, dip the end into hormone rooting powder, put the stem into a pot with damp compost, cover the pot with a bag to withold moisture and then this will grow into a plant
- This is a process that involves cutting a tiny bit of tissue from the parent that is going to be cloned
- The piece is grown in a sterile liquid/gel. The liquid/gel provides all the nutrients it needs to develop properly
- Begin in the…