- old testament.
- Genesis - the understanding that sex is created by God and it is meant for procreation. It is good in this way.
- Adultery is forbidden and punishable by stoning
- Women must also be virgins on marriage.
- New Testament:
- Jesus says little about sex and relationships. Talks more about living to the ideal and reflecting through their lives, God's love for his people. Does seem to suggest that divorce falls short of the ideal however
- Augustine: teaches that sex must be for marriage but even then it is dangerous e.g. pleasure in sex leads men away from reason which is bad.
- He links it back to the orginal sin of Adam and Eve. Sexual desire is then a constant reminder of rebellion…