China's one child policy
- China's one child policy was to reduce the population size of China.
- Chiarman mao, encouraged Chinease families to have a large families. This is because a large population was needed for China to move from an agricultural economy to an industrial one.
- Between 1959 amd 1961, 51 million Chinease starved from famine.
- In 1970, the comunist party could see that China was heading for another famine and had to take action fast.
- In 1979 the one child policy was introduced.
Rules of the one child policy:
- No marriage until late 20's
- Only one successful pregnancy
- Must have an abortion for any future pregnancy or partner must be steralised.
- Parent would recieve a 5-10% pay rise if they only had one child
- Parents would have priority housing, pension, family benefits and free education and health care for the child.
Any couple who disobeyed: