Child Directed Speech
Phonology and Prosody
- Intonation exaggerated and words are stressed more strongly than are in adult conversation e.g. stress on good in "What a good girl you are, Annie". Pitch usually higher.
- Words/phrases repeated e.g. "get the ball, Annie, get the ball"
- pace often much slower, with longer pauses than in adult speech
- vocabulary often simplified e.g. instead of saying bananas parent may say nana instead
- Caregivers use reduplication e.g. "choo-choo", "din-din" or "moo-moo"
- they use diminutives e.g. "birdie", "doggie" or "fishy"
- high proportion…