Bowlby suggested that the amount of social interaction and the responsiveness to an infant in distress effects the strength of atachmnet.
Schaffer agreed with this statement and identified 5 main stages of attachtment devoplment
- Birth - Biological regulation - Infants basic biological processes are harmonised with parental requirments
- 2 months - Face-to-face exchanges - regulation of mutual attention and responsiveness
- 5 months - Topic sharing - incorporation of objects into social interactions
- 8 months - Reciprocity - initates actions towards others and develops more flexible and symmetrical relationships
- 18 months - Symbolic representations - verbal and other symbolic means of relatimg to others
infants posses characteristics which encourage interaction such as the imitation of facial expressions. Also care givers…