- Atoms with the same number of protons but different numbers of neutrons are called isotopes.
- Different isotopes of the same element reacts chemically in exactly the same way.
- They vary in mass because of the different number of neutrons in their nuclei.
- Ionisation- a beam of high energy electrons knocks out electrons from atoms of the sample to form positive ions.
- Acceleration- these positive ions are attracted towards negatively charged plates and are accelerated at high speed. The speed they reach depends on their mass.
- Deflection- the beam of ions moves into a manetic field at right angles. This deflects the ions. The deflection depends on the m/z ratio of the ion. The deflection depends on magnetic feild strength- the stronger the field, the greater the deflection.
- Detection- the magnetic field is gradually increases so ions of increasing mass enter the detector, one after the other…