- The alkali metals are found in group 1 of the periodic table.
- They are Lithium, Sodium, Potassium, Rubidium, Cesium,and Francium.
- All the alkali metals have one electron in the outer shell.
- Reaction with oxygen: 4M*(s) + O2(g) ---> 2M2O(s) metal oxide e.g. Li2O lithium oxide.
*M symbolizes any alkali metal.
- (aq) = aqueous (dissolved in water).
- Reactions with water: 2M(s) + 2H20(l) ---> 2H2O(l) + H2(g) [metal hydroxide and hydrogen]
- "Down the group" - "with increasing atomic number"
- As you go 'down the group', the melting and boiling points decrease. Their densities tend to increase and they become softer and easier to cut.
Sodium + Water:
- Floats because it…