The Group 1 elements
- Lithium, Sodium, Potassium, Rubidium, Caesium and Francium.
- Lithium, Sodium and Potassium are the ones taught about at GCSE.
- The order of reactivity is potassium > sodium > lithium, the metals become more reactive as they go down the group.
- These three all have similar properties:
- Good conductors of electricity and heat.
- Soft, can be cut with a knife.
- Low melting and boiling points (compared with other metals).
- Low densities (all float on water).
- Shiny surfaces…