The relative atomic mass is a measure of the mass of one atom of the element.
The total mass of reactants used is equal to the total mass of the products made.
To calculate the relative formula mass:
- Write the formula of the compound
- Write the numbers of each atom in the formula
- Insert the relative atomic mass for each type of atom
- Calculate the total mass for each element
- Add up the total mass for the compound
In practice, it is not always possible to get the entire calculated amount of product from a reaction:
- Reversible reactions may not go to completion
- Some product may be lost when it is removed…