Artificial Colourd can be Seperated using Paper Chromatography
- a food colouring might contain one dye or it might be a mixture of dyes; heres how you can tell:
1) extract the colour from a food sample by placing it in a small cup with a few drops of solvent (water, ethanol ect)
2) put spots of the coloured solution on a pencil baseline on filter paper
3) roll up the sheet and put it in a beaker with some solvent - keep baseline above level of solvent.
4) the solvent seeps up paper, taking the dyes with it - different dyes for spots…