- Atoms are made up of protons, neutrons and electrons.
- In an atoms, the electrons are equal to the number of protons.
- Chemical bonding involves, transferring or sharing electrons.
Name Of Particle Charge
- When atoms form chemical bonds by transferring electrons, they form ions.
- Atoms that gain electrons become negatively charged ions.
An ionic compound is a giant structure of ions that are held together by strong forces, of attraction between oppositely charged ions. This happens in all directions.
When atoms share pairs of electrons, they form covalent bonds. These bonds between the atoms are strong.
- Ionic compounds have high boiling points and high melting points.
When melted or dissolved in water, ionic compounds conduct electricity, because the ions are free to move and carry the current.
Diamond - each carbon atom forms 4 covalent bonds with other carbon atoms in a giant structure. So diamond is very hard.
Graphite - one electron from…