- Created by: Dan_23
- Created on: 17-05-21 19:09
Core practical - investigating the composition of inks
There are a number of ways that you could investigate the composition of inks in Chemistry. This is an outline of the required steps to undertake one of these methods.
To investigate the composition of inks using simple distillation and chromatography.
- Add a small volume of ink to a flask. Connect the flask to the fractionating column and secure it with a stand, boss and clamp.
- Attach a condenser to the top of the fractionating column, connect it to a cold water tap and sink, and secure it over a beaker.
- Heat the flask using a Bunsen burner, reducing the flame as necessary to achieve gentle simmering.
- Collect a small sample of the distilled solvent, then turn the Bunsen burner off.
- describe the appearance of the…