Urbanisation- a process where an increase proportion of the population lives in towns and cities.
Rural-urban migration- a process where people move from the countyside.
How does land use vary in an urban area?
- CBD- the main shopping and service area in a city.
- Inner City- the area around the CBD.
- Suburbs- the area on the edge of the city.
- Example, Sheffield
Brownfield sites- land that has been built on before and is reused.
Greenfield sites- land that has not been built on before.
Urban Development Corporations- set up in the 90s using public funding to improve inner areas of a city, partly attracting private investment. Example London Docklands :
- Used to be a port
- £2billion was spent to improve the area.
- 144km of new road
- the construction of the Dockland Light Railway
- New undeground station
- 25,000 houses built
- 11 new primary schools, 2 secondary schools
- 85,000 jobs
- Improving the environment