- Created by: themoderrnage
- Created on: 21-04-21 18:13
Reasons for the Increase in Same-Sex Relationships
- Greater social acceptance.
- Changes in legislation.
- Changes in attitudes to relationships.
- Changing representations in the media.
Greater Social Acceptance
- Changing attitudes to sexual behaviours have led to an increased acceptance of same-sex relationships.
- The process of secularisation has led to greater independence in moral judgements and acceptance that LGBTQ+ relationships share a common ground of love.
- The work of activists, such as Stonewall, to promote the LGBTQ+ community have led to greater acceptance in society of same-sex couples.
Changes in Legislation
- Decriminalisation of Male Homosexuality (1969).
- Adoption legalised for same-sex couples (2002).
- Repeal of Section 28 (2003).
- Civil Partnership Act (2005).
- Legalisation of Same-Sex Marriage (2013).
Change in Attitudes to Relationships
- Giddens' concept of confluent love and pure relationships mean that there is greater…