- Created by: themoderrnage
- Created on: 21-04-21 12:09
- In 2017, there were 242,842 marriages in the United Kingdom, with 88% of those having lived together before getting married according to the ONS.
- The average age at marriage of opposite-sex couples was 38.0 years for men and 35.7 years for women in 2017.
- In 2017, there were 6,932 marriages of same-sex couples, of which 56% were between female couples; a futher 1,072 couples converted their existing civil partnership into a marriage.
Reasons for a Decline in Marriage
- Changing role of women in society.
- Changing social attitudes.
- Rising divorce and insecurity of relationships.
- Changes to social institutions.
Changing Role of Women
- Career aspirations of women have meant that there has been a rise in the average age at which people first marry.
- Greater control over reproductive rights…