- Created by: themoderrnage
- Created on: 21-04-21 12:58
- According to the ONS, there were 3 million lone-parent households in the United Kingdom in 2015 out of a total of 18 million households.
- This figure has increased in number since 1996 where there were 2.4 million out of 16.5 million households.
- This is a slight increase in the percentage of families headed by one parent over the last 20 years.
Reasons for the Rise in Lone-Parent Families
- Changing position of women.
- Changing attitudes to relationships.
- Less stigma attached to lone parenting.
- State support for parents.
Changing Position of Women
- Women petition for two thirds of divorces in the United Kingdom demonstrating a change in attitudes of women towards marriage.
- Women have become financially independent and increasingly career focused, which has improved the confidence of women to seek out what they want from life.