- Created by: themoderrnage
- Created on: 21-04-21 12:34
- According to the ONS, there were 657,000 live births in the United Kingdom in 2018 (this was a 9.9% decrease since 2012 and the lowest since 2005).
- 51.6% of those births were to married couples, which is the biggest decrease since 1973.
- Fertility rates decreased in all age groups, except for women aged 40 years and over, in 2018.
Reasons for the Decrease in Child-Bearing
- Changing roles of women in society.
- Improved contraception.
- Delaying child-bearing.
- Costs of child-bearing.
Changing Roles of Women
- Women are becoming more involved in Higher Education and delaying marriage and children until later in life.
- Career aspirations of women have led to a decrease in fertility rates of all women under the age of 40, this suggests that women are waiting longer to have children.
- Increased career aspirations means women are less likely to have larger families as they want to…