(notes taken from the CGP revision guides)
- Gametes have half the usual number of chromosomes.
- During sexual reproduction, an egg and a sperm combine to form a new cell, called a zygote.
- All human body cells have two copies of the 23 chromosomes. But gametes only have one copy of each chromosome.
- So when the egg and the sperm combine the zygote will contain 46 chromosomes - one set of 23 from each parent.
- Gametes are produced by Meiosis.
- Meiosis involves two divisions. It produces new cells that only have half the original number of…
Similar Science resources: