- Balkans War (short term)
- the Austro-Hungarian empire was keen to influence Balkan regions.
- Russians had an interest-they saw themselves as the protectors of serbia.
- 1908-the Austrians formally annexed Bosnia-Herzogovina. Serbs and Russians were furious, but neither had the power to do anything.
- 1912-1913 the Balkan War saw Serbia as victor.
- The tension between the Austro-Hungarian Empire and serbia ineivitably ended in war.
Alliances in Europe(long term)
- The Triple Alliance:-
- formed in 1882 between Germany, Austro-Hungary and Italy.
- Countries agreed to help each other if attacked by another power.
- The triple Entente:-
- started as an alliance formed in 1894 between France and Russia.
- 1904-Britain signed the Entente Cordial with France to resolve colonial differences.
- 1907-Britain reached agreement with Russia.
- Entente cordial became Triple Entente.
Arms Race (short term)
- Between Britain and Germany.
- 1898-1900-German laws passed, provided for the construction of a fleet of ships to rival the Royal Navy.
- Britain built the dreadnought in response to the laws.
- 1906-1914, The…