- 'a substance that increases the rate of a reaction without being consumed by the overall reaction'
- ^it provides an alternative reaction pathway requiring lower activation energy so more particles have energy equal to or more than the activation energy which means there are more frequent successful collisions
- reactants and catalyst are in the same state
- they react to form an intermediate which breaks down into the product and regenerates the catalyst
- Example: Making esters with sulfuric acid as a catalyst
- C2H5OH(l) + CH3COOH(l) reversible reaction with H2SO4(l) =…