- Created by: India
- Created on: 19-04-19 11:50
CARLSSON ET AL REVIEW OF STUDIES
AIM: Wanted to look at neurotransmitter functioning in different parts of the brain, and the effect this has on Schizophrenia.
The Dopamine Hypothesis
- Too much dopamine or too many dopamine receptors in different areas of the brain can link to SZ (mesolimbic and mesocortical pathway).
- Hyperdomonergia refers to too much dopamine in the brain.
The Glutamate Hypothesis
- Carlsson also found that too little glutamate (hypo) could link to symptoms of SZ.
- Evidence to support this is the drug PCP (angel dust), which produces psychosis similar to SZ by stimulating glutamate.