What are carbohydrates made from?
- Carbohydrates are polymers.
- The monomers of carbohydrates are monasaccharides.
- Monasaccharides are joined by glocsidic bonds.
- During synthesis a hydrogen atom on one monosaccharide bonds to a hydroxyl (OH) group on the other. This reaction is a condensation reaction.
- The reverse reation is hydrolysis.
- A disacharide = 2 monosaccharides
- A polysaccharide= 2+ monosaccharides
Functions of Carbohydrates:
- Starch is the main energy store material in plants
- They store excess glucose as starch
- Starch is insoluble- It does not cause water to enter cells making it good for storage