- Report on a specific event - label - problem or threat.
- Sensationialist, exaggerated headline and emotive language - threat to the moral order of society.
- Describing and commenting on symbols normally associated with the group. Differentiate the group from mainstream.
- Predict more trouble.
- Reinforces public anxiety - police stamp down hard. Self fulfilling prophecy - more people are attracted to the group because of the media interest or the group resist the attempts to control it which leads to more arrests
- . The media actually create or make worse the very problems they originally condemned. The causes of moral panics:
- (a) Social change and moral crisis - the interactionist perspective Arise when society is undergoing a 'moral crisis'.
- Linked to some sort of social change or modernisation.
- Youth as an age category becoming a distinctive consumer group with values, norms or behaviour, consumption patterns and…