- Created by: KatieL
- Created on: 29-03-13 13:16
LOCATION: California is on the west coast of the USA, next to the Pacific Ocean.
HAZARDS: - California lies on a conservative plate boundary of the Pacific and North American plates. The main fault line is the San Andres Fault. As it is a conservative plate boundry there are no volcanoes, but there are eathquakes.
- California has high temperatures and a dry climate, so suffers from drought and forest fires.
- In El Nino years California often suffers from flooding.
California is in an MEDC so has a large capacity to deal with disasters.
(Earthquakes cannot be accuratly predicted so no warning systems)
CASE STUDIES: Northridge Earthquake, 1994
- 4.31 am, 17th January 1994
- Magnitude of 6.7 sticking in the densely populated area of San Fernando Valley in northern Los Angles
- Thousands of aftershocks, mostly of a magnitude between 4.00 and 5.00 during the following weeks
- 57 people died, over 1 500 were seriously injured
- 12 500 buildings were damaged; 25% severe to moderate damage
- 9 000 people were left without electricity for several days after; 20…