Cables and Plugs
- plugging a plug into a wall socket = "earth" the metal case- it stops the metal case from becoming 'live' if the wire breaks.
- Plastic materials are very good insulators- do not condct electricity= safe.
- PLUGS, SOCKETS, CABLES: made of hard wearing electric insulators connected with a 3-pin plug.
3 main wires: EARTH WIRE, LIVE WIRE, NEUTRAL WIRE.(3-CORE CABLE)
- EARTH WIRE is connected to the ground
- longest PIN of a 3-pin plug is to make contact with the earth wire of a wall socket, so that when you plug in an appliance with a metal case the case is automatically earthed- so it does not become 'live' and therefore unsafe.
- Plugs have cases made out of stiff materials: so that electricity cannot conduct.
- the actual metal pins of the plug are: live pin, neutral pin, earth pin:
- pins are made of brass: it is…