Electrolysis and the Half Equations.
Electrolysis Means "Splitting Up with Electricity".
1) Electrolysis is the breaking down of a substance using electricity.
2) It requires a liquid to conduct the electricity, called electrolyte.
3) Electrolytes are usually free ions dissolved in water. E.g. dissolved salts or molten ionic substances.
4) In either case it's the free ions which conduct the electricity and allow the whole thing to work.
5) For an electrical circuit to be complete, you need a flow of electrons. Electrons are taken away from ions at the positive anode and given to the negative…