Rates of Reactions.
Reactions Can Go at All Sorts of Different Rates.
1) One of the slowest is the rusting of iron.
2) A moderate speed reaction is metal (like magnesium) reacting with acid to produce a gentle stream of bubbles.
3) A really fast reaction is an explosion, where it's all over in a fraction of a second.
The Rate of a Reaction Depends of Four Things:
2) Concentration - (or pressure for gases).
4) Size of Particles - (or surface area).
Typical Graphs for Rate of Reaction.
The plot below shows how the speed of a particular reaction varies under different conditions. The quickest reaction is shown by the line that becomes flat in the least time. The…