CRUDE OIL AND FUELS
Fuels from crude oil
- Crude oil is a mixture of many different compounds.
- Distillation can be used to separate mixtures of liquids.
- Most of the compounds in crude oil are hydrocarbons-the contain only hydrogen and carbon.
- Alkanes are saturated hydrocarbons. They contain as many hydrogen atoms as possible in their molecules.
- Crude oil is separated into fractions using fractional distillation.
- The properties of each fraction depend on the size of the hydrocarbon molecules.
- Fractions with lower boiling points are less viscous and burn more easily.
- Burning hydrocarbons in…