- Created by: Saminn
- Created on: 01-12-19 22:17
Topic 2.5 Making Human Resource Decisions
2.5.1 - Organisational Structures
1- Describe the different organisational structures
- A hierarchical organization is an organizational structure where every entity in the organization, except one, is subordinate to a single other entity. This arrangement is a form of a hierarchy. In this structure tasks are delegated to a subordinate employee in the structure .
Adavtages of a heirarchical structure are: 1. lots of opportunities for promotion, supervivors have a small span of control so they can get to know their subordinates really well. Knowing your subordinates really well means that employees can delegate the right tasks to the right people and make sure their team is well trained
Disadvantages of a hierachical structure are: 1. lots of layers and a long chain of command can mean that the business is very inflexible in terms of roles 2. it also means that communication within the organisation are slow. This is expensive as there are more managers and supervivors
- A flat structure is when a company has a wide span of control and a short chain of command so information flows quickly throughout an organisation.
Advantages of a flat structure are 1. there are fewer layers of the heirarchy between the bottom and top of the organisation meaning that communication is fast 2. lots of delegation meaning that staff are given greater responsibility which might mean more opportunities to use their abilities
Disadvantages of a flat structure are 1. staff can be overstretched or overworked as there is less supervision, this can cause stress and demotivation 2. can create a power struggle if the manager is rarely around as subordinates jostle for roles and responsibilities 3. wide span of control meand that managers have too many staff to manage and may lose touch with them.
- span of control is when the number of people who report directly to a certain employee /worker of the organisation
- Decentralization is a type of organizational structure in which daily operations and decision-making responsibilities are delegated by top management to middle and lower-level mangers. This frees up top management to focus more on major decisions.
- Centralized organization can be defined as a hierarchy decision-making structure where all decisions and processes are handled strictly at the top or the executive level. Policies are put in place to ensure the rest of the company follows the direction of the executives
- one reason why businesses should have a structure is because its easier to see which part of the business does what and which person has what role. It also makes communication easier across the company and employees should find it easier to be aware of their roles and responsibilties
2- Describe and explain the importance of effective communication
- Effective Communication is important for the development of an organization. It is something which helps the managers to perform the basic functions of management- Planning, Organizing, Motivating and Controlling. It can help increase productivity, reduce the…