- Created by: Asif251100
- Created on: 14-03-17 10:25
Training: The process of increasing the knowledge and skills of the workforce to enable them to perform their jobs effectively.
Training is required to:
- Support new employees (induction training)
- Improve productivity.
- Increase marketing effectiveness.
- Support higher standards of customer service and production quality.
- Introduction of new technology, system or other change.
- Address changes in legislation
- Support employee progression and promotion.
Training can provide benefits to the business:
- Higher quality
- Better productivity (=number of products/number of workers)
- Improved motivation – through greater empowerment
- More flexibility through better skills
- Less supervision required
- Better recruitment and employee retention
- Easier to implement change in the business
Effective training starts with a ‘training strategy’, the three stages are:
- Identify skills and abilities needed by employees
- Make a plan to show investment in training and development will help meet the business goals and objectives.
- Implement the plan, monitoring progress and training effectiveness
Business don’t invest in training because:
- A desire to minimise short term costs
- They cannot make a justified investment case
- Training takes time to have the desired effect – management are impatient