"There is grey in your hair"
- bit rude/tactless, blunt and abrupt.
- pointing out that she has aged not trying to insult her.
- regret that she is growing old.
"Young men no longer suddenly catch their breath - When you are passing"
- not beautiful anymore - because she has aged.
"some old gaffer mutters a blessing - Because it was your prayer - Recovered him upon the bed of death"
- saint/ angel like
- "blessing", "prayer" - religious connotations.
- is he the old gaffer?
- old gaffer sounds inferior to angel like Maud.
- lots of enjambement here - rambly - getting carried away in his emotions.
"that all heart's ache have known - And given to others all heart's ache"
- she causes heart ache - can't help it.
- they love her but she doesn't love them.
"putting on - Burdensome beauty"
- her beauty is what causes heart ache.
- is it burdensome to her or to others? - burdensome to Yeats.
"Heaven has put away the stroke of her doom"
- she hasn't died yet - is she really that old?
- angel/saint like.
"So great her portion in that peace you make - By merely walking in a room."
- works with heaven to maintain peace - angel like duty.
- does this huge act just by walking in the room - huge power.
"Your beauty can leave among us - Vague…