- Allows the calculation of an enthalpy change that cannot be measured directly.
WHY CANT IT BE MEASURED?
- Can't be done in standard conditions
- A lattice can't be made from gaseous ions
- Start your elements at their standard states on the zero line.
- Enthalpy of formation is exothermic, so draw a line pointing down to make your ionic compound.
- From the zero line, draw the next series of arrows.
- Enthalpy of atomisation is an endothermic process, so arrows will point UP.
- Atomisation always makes 1 mol, so if you are making…