Body fat composition
- This is the physiological make-up of an individual in terms of the distribution of lean body mass and body fat.
- On average, men have less body fat (15%) then women (25%)
- Your percentage body fat can be estimated by the skinfold test, which measures the thickness of the skin at specific parts of the body. The total of these measurements is compared to a 'norms' table.
- The bioelectrical impedance method involves passing a small electrical current through the body to generate an estimate of body fat.
- Excess body fat can lead to health problems such as cardiovascular disease, and any exercise requires more energy, since more weight has to be moved around.
- Ir is generally agreed that less body fat means a better performance. There are some exceptions: some sports…