- Created by: Buglernetball
- Created on: 24-04-15 21:28
Body Composition Defined & Application
- The physiological make-up of an individual in terms of the distribution of lean body mass (bone, muscle, organs & connective tissue) and fat mass (stored adipose tissue).
- On average, men have less body fat (15%) then women (25%).
- Elite performer average, <10% male & <15%
- BMI: measure of weight in relation to height (kg / m2). +simple meadure of fatness within health professionals. -unsuitable for pregnant, young, elderly & athletes. NB...atheletes heavier muscles push up BMI and over normal range to 'obese'
Body mass index (BMI)
To calculate BMI, a person's weight in kilograms is divided by his/her height (in metres) squared.
<19 : underweight
19-25 : Normal
26-30 : Overweight
30-40 : Obese
>40 : Morbidly obese
- SKINFOLD MEASURES: % body fat estimated by the skinfold calliper measure, which measures subcutaneous fat (fat below skin) at specific parts of the body. The total of these measurements is compared to a 'norms' table. +widely used, good estimate. -need training to ensure accuracy.
- BIOELECTRICAL IMPEDANCE: involves passing a small electrical current through the body (through fluid within muscle but experiences resistance…