- Created by: georgiemountford
- Created on: 15-09-19 20:44
ENZYME CASCADE -
- Damage to blood vessel wall exposes collagen and releases clotting factors.
- Platelets bind to collagen and release more clotting factors.
- Temporary platelet plug formed, contributing to a clot.
- Inactive thrombokinase in blood + clotting factors -> Active thrombokinase (enzyme).
- Active thrombokinase and calcium ions convert prothrombin in blood to active thrombin (enzyme).
- Active thrombin converts soluble fibrinogen (in plasma) to insoluble fibrin.