Define the term biome.
- A collection of ecosystems sharing similar climatic conditions; for example, tundra, tropical rainforest, desert.
- Int: Biomes usually cross national boundaries (biomes do not stop at a border; for example, the Sahara, tundra, tropical rainforests).
Explain the distribution, structure and relative productivity of tropical rainforests, deserts, tundra and any other biome.
- Tropical Rainforests:
- High productivity
- High precipitation (2500 mm yr¹) throughout the year
- High insolation
- High temperature (26 ʻC)
- Good nutrient cycling = High rate of decomposure
- Highest NPP
- Temperate Forests:
- Medium productivity
- 4 seasons (Insolation and temperature varies)
- Good growing season in the summer…