Why do we eat?
Our nutrition (nourishment- the nutrients and energy needed for health and growth) comes from the food we eat. Good food is full of nutrients. There are different kinds of nutrients in different foods; and it’s important to ensure that you eat a mixed, well balanced diet (one that contains all the nutrients required for health in appropriate proportions.) Good nutrition will:
· provide better health
· ensure a stronger immune system
· mean that you become ill less often
· help you learn more effectively
· make you stronger
· make you more productive
What’s in a balanced diet?
A balanced diet must provide both the building blocks for growth and repair, and sufficient energy. There are seven components in a balanced diet:
· Carbohydrates – these are our main source of energy
· Proteins- these are essential for growth and repair of muscle and other body tissue
· Fats- these are essential as a source of energy and are also important in cell membranes, waterproofing, absorption of fat-soluble vitamins, and many other roles
· Vitamins- these play important roles in the chemical processes taking place inside cells. Some are water-soluble and some are fat-soluble
· Minerals- these are the inorganic elements occurring in the body that are essential to its normal functions