Key words and their meanings for the whole of unit 1, enjoy.
- Metabolism = all chemical reactions in cells, it needs energy through respiration.
- Respiration = process in our body that releases energy.
- Metabolic rate = The rate of the chemical reactions (how fast they go) in cells.
- Malnourished = not having a balanced diet means you're malnourished.
- Pathogens = disease causing mircoorganisms.
- Phagocytes = the white blood cells that digest/ingulf microbes.
- Lympocytes = the white blood cells that produce antibodies.
- Antitoxins = the chemical subtance produced by white blood cells that counteract the effect of the toxins produced by pathogens in you body.
- Vaccines = dead or inactive pathogen that encourages your body to produce antibodies.
- Memory cell = Lympocytes that already have certain antibodies memorised ready for a harmful pathogen.
- Endocrine = system of glands that release a number of signalling chemical reactions known as hormones.
- Receptors = specialised cells that detect stimuli on your sense organs (eyes, tongue, nose, ears and skin).