The hormones FSH, oestrogen and LH can be used to artificially change a woman’s fertility.
Hormones can be used to reduce fertility:
1. Oestrogen can prevent the release of an egg (a method of contraception). The pill is an oral contraceptive that contains oestrogen.
2. This may seem strange seeing as oestrogen usually stimulates the release of an egg, but if it is taken every day to keep the level of oestrogen high, it inhibits the production of FSH and LH and soon stops the egg development, stopping production and making it stay stopped.
· The pill is over 99% effective at preventing pregnancy.
· Reduces the risk of some types of cancer.
· Isn’t 100% effective – always a slight chance of pregnancy.
· Can cause side effects…