Cholera = disease caused by curved, rod-shaped bacterium called Vibrio Cholerae.
Prokaryotic cells vs Eukaryotic cells
- P = no true nucleus with no nuclear envelope / E = Distinct nucleus.
- P = no nucleolus / E = nucleolus.
- P = circular strands of DNA but no chromosomes / E = chromosomes with DNA present.
- P = no membrane bound organelles / E = membrane bound organelles e.g. mitochondria.
- P = No chloroplasts / E = Chloroplasts in plants and algae
- P = Small ribosomes / E = larger ribosomes.
- P = No ER or Golgi apparatus and lysosomes / E = lysosomes, golgi and ER
- P = cell wall made of peptidoglycan / E = cell wall mostly made of cellulose but only in plants.
Roles of structure in bacterial cell
- Cell wall = physical barrier against mechanical damage, excludes certain subbies.
- Capsule = protects bacterium from other cells, helps groups of bacterial stick together for protection (on outside of cell wall).
- Cell-surface membrane = inside cell wall, permeable layer, controls entry and exit of chemicals.
- Flagellum - aids movement.
- Circular DNA = possesses genetic info for…
Similar Biology resources: