- Glucose + glucose = maltose
- Glucose + fructose = sucrose
- Glucose + galactose = lactose
Monosaccharides join by a condensation reaction (2H and one 0 removed to make water, leaving an O joining the two molecules), forming a glycosidic bond.
Water added = breaks down disaccharide/polysaccharide = hydrolysis.
Test for non-reducing sugars:
- Maltose = reducing sugar, sucrose = non-reducing.
1) Non reducing sugar broken down by hydrolysis into monosaccharides.
2) 2cm3 of the food sample to 2cm3 of Benedict's reagent (in test tube).
3) Place test tube in gently…