Carbon chains and rings
- Carbon atoms have 4 electrons in their outer orbitals, they can gain stability by sharing 4 electrons with other atoms
- Sharing of electrons forms a strong bond between the atoms, known as covalent bond- bonded atoms forms a molecule
- A molecule is very stable because each atom in the molecule is sharing in the electrons to give a stable, full outer energy level.
Monomers and Polymers
- The term monomers refers to a single, small molecule, many of which can be joined together to form a polymer
- Although they are made from smaller molecules, lipids are…