- Water is composed of one Oxygen atom and two Hydrogen atoms.
- Oxygen is electronegative
- The Hydrogen atoms are bonded to the Oxygen covalently (sharing electrons)
- A water molecule is polar.
- Polarity= The uneven distribution of electrons, charged.
- The Oxygen atom in a water molecule posseses a slight negative charge.
- The Hydrogen in a water molecule posseses a slight positive charge.
- Hydrogen bonds form between the negative Oxygen of one water molecule and the positive Hydrogen of a different molecule.
- The hydrogen bonds between water molecules are weak and are constantly breaking and reforming.
- Due to the sheer number…
Similar Biology resources: