- Treating Abnormality - Biological Theraphies
Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT)
- only used in severe cases of depression which do not respond to drugs.
- ECT involves passing a small electric current through the brain.
- Usually consists of 6-12 treatements given no more than 2-3 times a week
- patient is under general anesthetic and a given muscle relaxant
- brain is stimulated using electrodes placed on the head with a bried controlled series of electrical pulses
- this causes a seizure within the brain lasting about a minute
- after 5-10 minutes the patient regains conciousness
- there are two types: