- Created by: Jenny Jones
- Created on: 17-02-15 17:02
The difference between biological and psychological is that biological refers to processes in the body whereas psychological refers to processes in the mind.
There are two types of drug therapies:
1. Benzodiazepines (BZs)
2. Beta-blockers (BBs)
This is the most common drug used to treat stress and anxiety and they slow down the central nervous system (CNS) activity
- GABA is a neurotransmitter responsible for natural anxiety relief in the body
- 40% of neurones in the brain respond to GABA
- when released, the neurones in the brain relax
- it does this by reacting with GABA receptors which then opens a channel increasing the flow of chloride ions into the neuron
- chloride ions make it harder for the neuron to be stimulated by other neurotransmitters, thus slowing down its activity and making the person feel more relaxed
- BZs enhance the action of GABA
- BZs also reduce the serotonin activity in the brain as this is the neurotransmitter which causes the arousal, this also reduces anxiety.
Summary of BZs
- BZs slow down the CNS
- BZs increase GABA = LESS STRESS!
- BZs decrease serotonin