- Created by: LydiaMae1401
- Created on: 20-11-19 18:09
Two Biological Explanations of OCD
- Twin Studies.
2) Neural Explanations:
- Chemical Imbalance- Neurotransmitters.
- Neurophysiology- Brain Structure.
Genetic explanation use concordance rates. These are the probability that a pair of individuals will botth develop a disorder, if one twin or member of the family already has it.
- Family studies have shown that there is a genetic vulnerability for developing OCD.
- Nesdat found first degree relatives e.g. parents or siblings of OCD sufferers have a 12% chance of developing of OCD compared with 3% of first degree relatives of a control group without OCD.
- There are two types of twins. Identical twins (Monozygotic- MZ) and non identical twins (Dizygotic- DZ).
- MZ twins share 100% of their genetics.
- DZ twins share 50% of their genetics.
- Gottesman said there was 87% concordance rate for MZ twins where one twin has OCD and 47% concordance rate for DZ twins where one twin has OCD.
- Refer to the genes carrying OCD. It is a polygenetic which means more than one gene causes OCD.
- It is believed that the SERT (serotonin) gene and the COMPT (dopamine) gene work together to cause OCD.