Biochemistry and metabolism
· Food is digested or used as energy for metabolism which is all living processes.
· Fibre eases the flow of materials through the gut by giving gut muscles a bulk to push against.
· Fibre removes excess bile salts which can be toxic.
· A low diet in fibre, is a risk factor, and can contribute to intestinal cancers.
· A biochemistry technique is to measure the level of enzymes in the blood after a mycardinal infarction.
· An example of a catabolic reaction is digestion.