Mycorrhiza- symbiotic relationship between a fungus and a plant- e.g. tree roots
Fungus provides plants with greater nutrient uptake (particularly phosphate)- protection from dessication and disease
Causation of disease:
- Irish potatoe famine- caused by phytophthora infestans
microorganisms make some of most potent toxins
Botulinum toxin- 6 million times more potent than rattlesnake poison- probably most toxic substance known
paralyzes muscle- commonly used in cosmetic therapy- botox
Archaea and bacteria are found everywhere there is:
- energy source
- C, N, P, S etc..
- reasonable physiochemical limits- temperature, pH, salt concs.
- live almost anywhere with liquid water
- occur in large numbers
- most bacterial cells are relatively small
- species diversity v. large and growing
- roughly 35 phyla…