Key points and Learning Objectives
What is the evidence for the origins of life on Earth?
- Fossils are some of the best evidence about the history of the Earth and they give us information about organisms that lived millions of years ago.
What are fossils?
- Fossils are the remains of organisms from many years ago that are found in rocks, ice or other places but mainly rock. Fossils may be formed in many different ways:
- 1. From the hard parts of animals which do not decay easily e.g. bones, teeth, claws or shells.
- 2. By parts of organsims not decaying after death due to a lack of one or more conditions needed for decay e.g. too cold/not enough moisture/warmth or too acidic/no oxygen for decay to happen.
- 3. The hard parts of the body(shells…