THE NERVOUS SYSTEM:
The nervous system allows us to react to the surroundings and coordinate behaviour. It comprises the centeral nervous system (CNS) and the peripheral nervous system (PNS), which includes receptors and neurones.
Animals detect changes in their environment (stimuli) using receptors, specialised nerve endings that generate nerve impulses, there is:
- Light receptors in the eyes.
- Sound and balance receptors in the ears.
- Taste receptors in the tongue.
- Smell receptors in the nose.
- Touch, pressure, pain and temperature…